Monday, July 12, 2010

Oberammergau

Ten years ago, my mom and I went to a small town in Germany known as Oberammergau. There was a particular reason why my mom planned a trip to this area of Germany and that reason was to see a play that only happens every ten years: The Passion Play.

This particular play has been performed since 1634. It all started with a pledge to God that if He spared them from the devastation of poverty and disease they would perform a play every 10 years in his name. Over half the residents of Oberammergau take part and you have to be born and raised in Oberammergau to even be in the play.

At the age of 11, I remember sitting in this open theater among thousands. I could clearly see the outline of the Bavarian Alps providing the distant backdrop. The entire play was in German and it did not even matter. Throughout the entire production, I knew exactly what was going on. I did not have to read the English translation on the monitor that could be seen directly above the stage. There was so much emotion that it was facial expressions and body language that told the entire story. And at times, I would take my eyes off the stage to look around me and saw tears streaming down the cheeks of people from all over the world.

It was an experience that I would recommend for everyone. Religion has not played a large role in my life, but it has always been in the back of my mind. I was raised Roman Catholic...had my communion and confirmation, but I cannot remember the last time I went to church. I am still trying to decide what role structured religion plays in my life. But The Passion Play is a story and experience that everyone would be in awe...religious or not.

The next play is being performed this year from now until October 3rd and will not be performed again until 2020. My mom is going again this year. Unfortunately, I will not be going with her because I will be back in Syracuse beginning my final year. I am looking forward to going back to Oberammergau in 2020. I wonder what the experience will be like from the eyes of a 31 year old as opposed to an 11 year old...will there even be a difference?

Oh...the play is five hours. That's a long time for the attention span of an 11 year old, but for some reason it did not seem that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment